Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET)
Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) is a treatment for survivors of multiple traumatic events who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). NET is an evidence-based treatment with good efficacy data supporting its use in the treatment of multiply-traumatised adults and children. There is also emerging evidence that NET can be effective in treating symptoms of PTSD in those suffering from borderline personality disorder.
This 9-page guide briefly discusses the theory of NET before describing the practical aspects of the therapy. It was originally written by Matthew Whalley as a quick guide to the key principles of NET, and was later edited by Katy Robjant and Maggie Schauer.
This 9-page guide briefly discusses the theory of NET before describing the practical aspects of the therapy.
- Aldenhoff, J., Rosentreager, R., Ruf-Leuschner, M., Schauer, M., Goder, R., Robjant, K., ... & Pabst, A. (2014). Evaluation of Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) for borderline personality disorder with comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder. Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 11(4), 108-117 uni-konstanz.de
- Mørkved, N., Hartmann, K., Aarsheim, L. M., Holen, D., Milde, A. M., Bomyea, J., & Thorp, S. R. (2014). A comparison of narrative exposure therapy and prolonged exposure therapy for PTSD. Clinical psychology review, 34(6), 453-467 researchgate.net
- Pabst, A., Schauer, M., Bernhardt, K., Ruf, M., Goder, R., Rosentraeger, R., ... & Seeck-Hirschner, M. (2012). Treatment of patients with borderline personality disorder and comorbid posttraumatic stress disorder using narrative exposure therapy: a feasibility study. Psychotherapy and psychosomatics, 81(1), 61-63 researchgate.net
- Robjant, K., & Fazel, M. (2010). The emerging evidence for narrative exposure therapy: A review. Clinical psychology review, 30(8), 1030-1039 researchgate.net
- Schauer, M., Neuner, F., Elbert, T. (2011). Narrative Exposure Therapy: A short term treatment for traumatic stress disorders (2nd edition). Cambridge, MA: Hogrefe Publishing amazon.com