What Keeps Tinnitus Going
What Keeps Tinnitus Going? is a tinnitus formulation diagram which combines information about neurological-level change (the brain's 'filter') and psychological-level change (thoughts, feelings, and behavior). It describes how changes in the brain's auditory 'filter' can lead to the experience of tinnitus, and how emotional arousal acts to maintain the changes in how the filter operates.
This is a Psychology Tools information handout. Suggested uses include:
- Client handout - use as a psychoeducation resource
- Discussion point - use to provoke a discussion and explore client beliefs
- Therapist learning tool - improve your familiarity with a psychological construct
- Teaching resource - use as a learning tool during training
- McKenna, L., Handscombe, L., Hoare, D. J., Hall, D. A. (2014). A scientific cognitive-behavioural model of tinnitus: novel conceptualizations of tinnitus distress. Frontiers in Neurology, 5, 1-15.
free & pro